Garfield constantly torments him by ripping off his pants and leaving him shredded and scratched, and he perpetually tries to find a way to deliver the mail safely, but rarely succeeds. He is the mailman for Jon's neighborhood because no one else will put up with Garfield's tricks. In The Garfield Show, he takes advantage of this predicament by taking a two week vacation every year, getting a raise when returning early.
- He succeeds in delivering the mail safely by folding the mail into paper airplanes and throwing them at the house, to which Garfield replied, "NO FAIR!".
- Possibly non-canon, the mailman succeeded in a splash screen, which had him in a gi and a black belt and Garfield in a defeated position.
- He succeeded by wearing a suit of armor.
- He brought his assistant Waldo, who then jumped on Garfield.
- He brought Fido, a snake.
- Garfield tries to steal Herman's letters as the Caped Avenger (one of his alternate forms) on March 30, 1979 and fails.
- He succeeded by bringing in his big dog against Garfield.
- He once dumped the mail in the mailbox, but while running away, he ran out onto the street and got hit by a car.
- In The Mysterious Machine, he got a big tank which allowed him to deliver the mail safely, but later got rid of it as he thought Garfield's machine would rip the top off and throw him in the mud.