Irma is a waitress and recurring character from the Garfield comic strip. Irma's first appearance was on June 9, 1979 and her latest appearance was on July 2, 2017. Irma is the owner and the only waitress of Irma's Diner. The diner is occasionally visited by Jon and Garfield.
Irma is a model waitress when she isn't abusing her customers or shaving her legs at the counter. But then the food isn't much either. Most of the time, there's something in the dish that isn't supposed to be there. Irma is often shown to be eccentric. For instance, her idea of a "Chicken Surprise" is (see punchline below). Mentioned workers at her diner are Bubba and Chef Tony. Chef Tony has had several accidents while preparing food at the diner.
- In the strip from August 8, 1981 Jon is shown flirting with Irma.
- Odie has never met her.
- She is one of the few regular characters that have mainly appeared in the comic strip, although she did have cameo appearances in Garfield Caught In The Act (as part of the password section and the Whack-A-Character game).
- Jim Davis revealed that he borrowed Irma's name, but not her personality, from his aunt Patricia.
- In the strip from May 26, 1985 she was shown with red hair.
- She runs the diner 24 hours a day with no help.
- She has appeared 91 times as of the 1st of January 2017, the 19th most.
- She made a cameo in The Garfield Show in the episode The Caped Avenger Strikes Again!.
Irma usually doesn't serve food in an edible way, such as:
- There was a bird beak in a pie that Garfield ordered.
- She offered to give Jon a scoop of ice cream that dropped on the floor
- She gave Garfield and Jon cheeseburgers that were six-months old.
- She once gave Garfield and Jon a "Saturday Special" that was one week old.
- She gave Jon coffee by squeezing it out of a wet towel that she used to clean the coffee that another customer spilled.
- A Meat loaf she once served had a horn on it.
- (see setup for joke above) putting on a chicken suit and yelling "Suprise!" [sic]
- She once accidentally served dog food.
- Serving Jon chicken soup that had feathers in it.
- Served Jon some soup with a tooth in it.
- She once served Garfield and Jon cheeseburgers with 6 month old cheese.
- She once served Garfield and Jon cheeseburgers with one of her false eyelashes.
- She once, by mistake, put a horse shoe in Jon's meatloaf and Garfield's burger.
- Once the chef's cell phone was on Garfield's meal.
- She once put water into Buttermilk pancakes and Buttermilk into the coffeemaker.