Nighty Nightmare is an episode from the first season of Garfield and Friends.
Jon warns Garfield that overeating can result in a nightmare.
Jon sneaks a pizza into his room intending to eat it for himself, but Garfield beats him to the punch by wolfing it down before Jon even so much as opens the box. Jon tells him that eating so much like that will give him a nightmare, to which Garfield dismisses. Garfield then has a dream where Jon's whole purpose in life is to provide him with food, and his ravenous appetite knows no ends.
Jon soon tells Garfield that he needs to cease eating, as he becomes a King Kong-sized cat monster as a result. Garfield then picks up Jon hanging him directly to his face, with Odie barking for Jon to be spared, and once Jon promises lots of pizza, Garfield does put him down but also remarking not to forget the anchovies this time. Unfortunately, the town quickly runs out of food and Garfield goes on an eating rampage, which includes eating a hot dog stand whole and drinking a swimming pool. However, nothing seems to satisfy Garfield's hunger, as he attacks supermarkets (even going so far as to eat the paper towels) or anywhere there is food.
Soon there's no food left anywhere, and the National Guard is called in to fill the Grand Canyon with chicken gumbo and deliver huge quantities of lasagna. The commanding general of the unit fears that Garfield will soon eat so much he will cause mass starvation in the United States and then worldwide, and decides the only course of action is to open fire on Garfield. Jon and Odie run through the city to warn Garfield to stop eating, as he is now being targeted. Garfield climbs a building where the United States Air Force fight him to no avail and eats a fighter jet. Before Garfield eats any more, a UFO appears and uses a beam to abduct him.
Onboard the UFO, an extraterrestrial from the planet Clarion introduces himself and says that it was the master plan all along: to find Earth's biggest glutton, use a hunger ray that would cause him to eat continuously in order to fatten him up for the alien's Thanksgiving dinner. Garifield is shocked at becoming a meal himself, and as he is taken away from Earth, he remarks how he should have been more grateful to Odie and Jon.
The nightmare jars Garfield awake. Jon offers lasagna as atonement for yelling at Garfield. Garfield actually declines it, saying he is going to stop being gluttonous. He initially resolves to go on a strict diet, but then has second thoughts and grabs the lasagna right back.
- Pizza Delivery Man
- Newscaster (voiced by Gregg Berger)
- Hot Dog Vendor
- Store Employee
- Alien (voiced by Gregg Berger)
- Air Squadron
- This episode marks the first mention of Clarion.
- This episode is inspired by the comic on May 17th, 1987. In that strip, Garfield was actually in the middle of a diet imposed on him by Jon and during his dream, Garfield had a never ending appetite where he swallowed all the food in his house, then Jon, then cattle and trainloads and truckloads of food delivered to him before he engulfed the earth itself and spotted the galaxy's other planets as dessert. Unlike in this cartoon, Garfield enjoyed this dream, and remarked this was better than reality.
- When Garfield is in the spaceship (before meeting the alien), he calls out for Mr. Spock, one of the main characters from the original Star Trek series.