Penelope Pussycat served as another love interest for Garfield. She appeared in Garfield and Friends, quickly becoming a regular (with three episodes being labeled as "Penelope Episodes"). She lives in an Italian restaurant, the main reason that Garfield goes out with her. The fact that Garfield enjoys eating more than being with her annoys Penelope, but she willingly goes out with him anyway, because as she says, "I don't care what we do as long as we do it together."
She has a similar body shape to Arlene, with the exception of Penelope's characteristic hair, beauty spot on cheek, blue eyes and smaller lips. Just like most of the female cats in the cartoon, Penny's nose has darker pink flesh tone than her ears.
Depending on the episode, Penny's fur color varies between beige and at least two different tones of gray. One of her distinctive marks, is the beauty spot on her left cheek, short bouffant hairdo and whiskers on temples.
Between episodes, her appearance changed:
- In The Perils of Penelope, she has beige fur, lipstick without contours, and eyelashes.
- In The Garfield Rap, she has different coloured fur between two scenes. She has a darker fur color in the first scene, and in the second scene, her fur color is visibly lighter. She also got her eyelashes back.
- In The Genuine Article, she wears a light pink lipstick.
- In The Second Penelope Episode, she has a more gray colour fur, lipstick with contours and her eyelashes were removed.
- In The Garfield Musical, she has a darker colour of fur and lipstick than in previous episodes.
- In The Third Penelope Episode, she almost has the same design as in The Second Penelope Episode, but her fur color varies between gray and beige, depending on the scene.
- In The Guy of Her Dreams, she has the same colour of beige fur, like in "The Perils of Penelope" with contoured lipstick.
Being a substitution for Arlene in "Garfield and Friends", Penelope has opposite personality to Arlene - she barely cracks jokes at Garfield's expense (at least less frequent than Arlene does) and her relationship looks more like one-sided attraction. In fact, Garfield appreciates Penelope rather for her living in an Italian Restaurant, which can be seen in "The Third Penelope Episode."
- The Genuine Article (cameo)
- The Second Penelope Episode
- The Garfield Musical
- The Third Penelope Episode
- Penelope tends to walk on all four of her legs instead of two.
- She has a big family including her unnamed mother, her brother Al, his unnamed wife with their three children, a deceased father, grandparents, an aunt, an uncle and many cousins.
- Her design was changed during the episodes - originally she had beige fur color ("The Perils of Penelope" and "The Genuine Article"), replaced with gray in "The Second Penelope Episode", "The Garfield Musical", "The Third Penelope Episode" , "The Garfield Rap" and "The Guy of Her Dreams".
- She also had eyelashes in her debut episode, but they had disappeared by "The Second Penelope Episode".
- Penny likes to sing, which can be seen in 4 episodes, including short vocal parts in "The Perils of Penelope" and "The Garfield Rap" and sung episodes "The Garfield Musical" and "The Guy of Her Dreams".
- Part of the reason Penelope was created was because the writers were having a hard time writing Arlene. Jim Davis had reservations on Arlene, not wanting the character used if they were unable to portray her the way he wanted. Seasons later, Penelope was made in the cartoon.
- In later seasons of "Garfield and Friends", Penelope was one of the few female characters, besides Lanolin, to appear regularly in the series.
- Penelope shares Garfield's (occasional) dislike for anchovies on pizza.
The gallery for Penelope can be viewed here.